Navigating and finding information
In a nutshell: USE THE CATEGORIES MENU
(NOTE: Links throughout the blog and on this page appear in Gray, BOLD FONT).
The structure of this blog:
- Pages-bits of info and links, NOT a newsfeed. Example: A surname page such as APPELL. Where to find? Top menu.
- Posts-an in-depth look at a topic. Example: A BUTTERFIELD GEIER WEDDING STORY. Where to find? BLOG
- Categories-specific topics in the form of a page or a post. The DROP DOWN MENU will show CATEGORIES such as Appell, Get Started, Whimsy & whatnot. Where to find? The far right side of every page.
- Blog-a list of every article on this site. Where to find? BLOG.
Finding family information
Go to the CATEGORIES menu on the top right side or very bottom of every page and click on the DROP DOWN MENU. Click the name of interest. All articles associated with this family will appear (in blog form). You can also click on SURNAMES in the top menu.
- The SURNAME PAGES you’ve accessed from the top menu are introductory, REFERENCE PAGES only. They contain MY LINEAGE INFORMATION and a little bit about that family.
- The surname ARTICLES you’ve accessed from the Categories menu are CONTENT POSTS. These have more in-depth information about each family.
Learn about ancestor profiling
Unlike reference or content pages, HOW TO pages are filled with ideas and tips to show you how I profile my ancestors in various ways.
These links will help you get started:
Sharing your documents and photos to this site
Please use the contact form on the CONTACT PAGE.
I’ve written a post about identifying unknowns where I show you our most frustrating example, and HOW I LEAVE CLUES for the next curious person. That post can be found HERE. Or, take a peek at my PHOTO GALLERY where you may find help with your unknowns.
Learn how to create a document or slideshow
It is very easy using Google Slides to create a simple slideshow (or new document using Google Docs) to profile an ancestor or heirloom. You can read that post here: CREATING A NEW DOCUMENT.
Here is one example using recipes to profile my grandaunt. BERTHA AND HER RECIPES.
Contribute an article to this site
Would you like to contribute?
You will see articles by my cousin Susan who has been researching family history for many years and whose energy is always inspiring. If you’d like to contribute, please use the form on the CONTACT PAGE.
News and updates
SCUTTLEBUTT is the name of this section. As opposed to How To, these articles are more newsy in nature.
Examples are PHOTOS AND PHOTOSHOPPING, ABOUT SUBMITTING YOUR DOCUMENTS, TRUTH OR FACT: HONOR GUARD OR WOUNDED SOLDIER?, OBITS AND WHAT THEY OFFER. Keep checking back, as this section will be updated regularly.
TO FIND NEWS AND UPDATES: Go to the CATEGORIES MENU (on the far right side of every page) and click on SCUTTLEBUTT. Articles will appear in blog form. A page called Scuttlebutt describing my newsy section can be found in the top menu.
On this blog there is both a Category and a Page called HEIRLOOMS. The Page is a reference page briefly mentioning preserving your documents and heirlooms. Articles that discuss profiling ancestors using heirlooms can also be found using the tag Heirlooms.
TO FIND THE ARTICLES: Go to the CATEGORIES MENU and click on HEIRLOOMS.
The lighter side
I’ve created a CATEGORY called Whimsy & whatnot. I’d like you to share the humor you’ve encountered along the way, your surprising genealogical finds, and when you were first bitten by the genealogy bug. To find the article describing this section, use THE LINK HERE.
The malevolent matriarch’s great granddaughter
I LOVE being here and want to be available for you, too. If something is unclear or if you have questions, please contact me using the CONTACT FORM
Happy Profiling! ❤